Sunday, December 2, 2012

Flipping Back and Forth

Time seems to be going by so quickly. My husband and I have celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary and we've entered into another holiday season. We won't be decorating this year, as we're still in the small apartment and most of our things are still in storage. But by next year things should be different. We are moving into my husbands grandparents house, that has become vacant. It's an older home, and needs quiet a bit of updating. But it gets us a house with a yard for the pup, and enough space to stretch a bit. 

I have an aunt that lives close by, she is my dads sister and ever since I've come to Utah, we've never lived more than an hour from each other. But unfortunately, we haven't taken advantage of that and we only seem to see each other when we both make our way to Idaho for a family function. Luckily, my aunt (who is awesome, btw) decided it was time we start taking advantage of our close proximity to each other and invited the husband and I, as well as a cousin and her boyfriend, to dinner with her two kids and husband. My aunt and uncle were unable to have biological children, and through a very interesting turn of events, ended up with a newborn son and an 11 month old daughter all within 2 weeks time. 

As husband and I sat with everyone playing games and eating dinner, we were both very impressed with the relationships and family dynamics amongst my aunt and uncle and their two awesome kids. I'd never really had the opportunity to sit down and really spend time, watch and interact with a family that was brought together by adoption. It was an eye opening experience. Both kids are older now, in high school and have grown into two really wonderful people. The daughter, who was adopted from China, and the son who was adopted from a family friend, are just as much siblings as my brother and I were growing up. The respect they have for their parents is amazing, and the togetherness they show as a family was really beautiful to watch. Up until this dinner, I had pretty much come to the realization that we were never going to adopt. Things just would never come together for us to do this. But watching this family, really seeing how just like a normal family they are, made me think. For Christmas, my aunts family is going back to China, for their daughter to see the orphanage she spent her first 11 months at, as well as see some more of her culture... but they've invited us back when they get home to sit down with all 4 of them and ask the questions that we've been unable to get answers to. 

I am so excited for this, and I'm hoping desperately it will calm some of my concerns and put some peace in my heart that adoption could be an option for us, eventually.